Tuesday, February 24, 2015

What we're reading this week

We're not swapping out our books weekly at the moment. Instead we're having a month-long theme of animals and the sounds they make. I never realised just how many animal books we had until I chose this theme. There were too many choices so I pared it down to books that included the most common animals that Little Bean would come across daily in the world around us - farm animals, Australian animals and zoo animals.

These are the books from Little Bean's reading corner basket.

These great little chunky books came in boxes that can be used as a pull-along toy. 
I bought the First words and Animal fun sets. 
We're only reading the Baby Animals book out of the First Words set.

I got this The Very Hungry Caterpillar: Little Learning Library  by Eric Carle from The Book Depository. It has little board books on colours, words, numbers and animal sounds. We're just using the animal sounds books this month.
The Tall book introduces the concepts of tall and small using jungle animals.

I got these cute fabric sensory books in an online Christmas sale for a few dollars each. Bargain. They're usually quite expensive.

 Little Bean's Nanna got him these books for Christmas. Lucky boy.

These are some books that Little Bean and I will be reading together throughout the month.

 I love these two books. Danny's Duck has such beautiful illustrations. Where's My Teddy? is a great way to reinforce the concepts of big and small. I use this book in my ESL (English as a Second Language) kids classes. Eric Carle books are also a common feature in my classes too.

These are four of the mini books that we got in a Penguin books - Sunday Times newspaper promotion in Australia. Each Sunday, you could redeem a coupon to get the books. I think the first book was free and then the remaining books were only $2 each. All the books were much loved children's favourites.

The Cocky's Circle Little Books range used to be found by the checkout in Australian supermarkets. I haven't seen them for a while so I'm not sure if they're still available. I picked up a heap of them from a charity shop. 
I love the Ladybird Phonics series. I used these with my older son little. OMG. That was nearly ten years ago. Oh, how time flies.

 One Woolly Wombat is a fun way to introduce Australian animals. I bought this in a pack of Australian kids books at Australia Post. They have lots of great cheap books.

 I am a HUGE Mem Fox fan. I own heaps of her books. Hattie and the Fox is great book featuring all our farmyard friends.

A colourfully illustrated book will all the jungle animals. It has big flaps that lift up or out to show larger scenes.



No comments:

Post a Comment